Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Bites: Memoirs of a Geisha

I love the Japanese culture. I took one year of high-school Japanese (while taking my fifth year in Spanish) and I loved it. My Sensei was fabulous and not only taught the language but the reasons behind why things were said that way, what they meant culturally and so forth. Without really even studying the language, I fell in love with the culture. When I saw this movie come out I really wanted to see it, obviously it took me a while. Then Chad found the book at the library, so I read that. Oh my word. It's definitely a good read. I loved the book. It contained a lot of culture, and the premise was fascinating. A Geisha, many people believe, is a Japanese prostitute. That's what I thought, but the book--a dictation of stories from the life of a Japanese Geisha--clarified this misunderstanding. A Geisha is a walking piece of art. They are known for their music, dances and their singing. Anyways, definitely a good book.

Needless to say I was ecstatic to see the movie! It was decent, I guess. It'd probably be better if I had not read the book, but the book had so many details they simply could not capture in the movie. Also, be wary, there are a couple awkwardness-es that happen, due to the nature of the book. I do believe it is a fabulous glance into culture, and also the way that the war affected their people and their culture.

Check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment